Reporting to: Technical Support Lead
The role of Technical Support Engineer is crucial to our services and solutions offerings and to the success of service Operations Company wide. The TSE must show a high degree of success with timely and accurate hardware/software support problem resolution within specified platforms (such as IBM, HP, Cisco, Dell and EMC) and will be called upon to provide direction with regard to company investment in hardware, software, training and expert staffing
The TSE serves as a focused member of the Technical Support organisation, responsible for several very important functions within the support group:
- Support, development, and implementation of hardware and software support services. Service development focused on existing and new platforms.
- Support staff in their efforts to provide training and direction.
- Engaged directly (hands-on) with incidents if necessary to provide high-level direction to specialists within the Tech Support organisation and effectively deliver winning support.
- Direct production of documentation, white papers, and technical support best practices to Blue Chip field service staff.
- Provide sales support to Sales and management with focus on client engagements.
Key result areas
- To be 3rd line Technical Support for technical expertise, action plans and fault resolution
- To train and impart your technical knowledge and skills to Blue Chip engineers and customers. The products covered are to include but are not limited to the following: IBM range, HP, Dell, EMC, Cisco and Brocade.
- To be prepared and expect to have to spend up to two nights away from home per week to fulfil the office based attendance/research/development and training part of your role.
- To participate in the Tech Support Standby rota.
- To participate in the Tech Support Triage / Call handling
- To participate in the Tech Support office based rota to ensure minimum coverage
- Support, maintenance and repair of customer solutions, SAN equipment.
- Install hardware upgrades and new systems.
- High level of expertise in IBM products development including Server, Tape and Storage technology with hardware and or software configurations experience.
- Experience with the Maintenance Services and delivery.
- Provide technical pre sales support to the Blue Chip sales team when required
- Perform site audits and surveys to ensure customers installed equipment and features match Blue Chips inventory.
- Ongoing support of an IBM / OEM Lab
- Parts recommendations for customer systems on Blue Chip inventory
- Evaluate and develop new product solutions for IBM / OEM systems
- To ensure that notes are added to all high priority calls being handled by you in a timely manner.
- To provide on-site customer support when required
- To ensure that all relevant technical information is circulated within the technical support team and field engineers when necessary.
- Mentor other trainers in course delivery and presentations
- Will support the design in house training alongside L&D
- Provide telephone and field based technical support to Blue Chip’s customers, engineers and internal staff.
- Ensure that action plans are swiftly drawn up and implemented on high priority calls.
- Provide and support business needs on Networking equipment
- To understand and fulfil the responsibilities for secure management of personal data of both internal and external customers in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2018
Key personal requirements
- iSeries / AS400 Hardware
- pSeries / RS6000 Hardware
- xSeries / Netfinity / Bladecenter Hardware
- IBM zSeries Mainframe
- DS3000 / DS4000 / DS5000 Hardware
- DS8000 Hardware Servicing
- IBM Storewise Hardware Servicing
- Tapes & Tape Library Hardware
- TS3500 Tape Library Hardware
- SVC Hardware
- Fibre Switch hardware
- UPS hardware Servicing
- HMC Hardware
- Optical Library Hardware
- nSeries / Net App Hardware
- Strong Excel Skills (Vlookup, Pivot Tables, etc.), Powerpoint and/or Visio is preferred
- Time Management skills
- Commercial awareness
- Problem determination, analytical and resolution skills
- Communication skills internally & externally
- Demonstrate initiative
- Team Player
- Leads by example
- Knowledge share within team
- Able to conform to Blue Chip policies and procedures
- In house training development and design
If you’d like to apply, click the button below.