Department: Technical Services
Location: Blue Chip Offices Bedford
Job Family: Unix
Reporting to: Unix Technical Lead
Responsible for: NA
To provide 2nd and 3rd level support to customers and client personnel as part of the services covered by managed services and software support contracts; provide assistance in the use of UNIX and virtualisation technology throughout the organisation; contribute to automation of repetitive routines, and ongoing support for the Sales and Services teams in delivering contracted services.
• Must have: Practical experience
• Own and manage UNIX 2nd and 3rd level technical support issues through to successful completion.
• Provide assistance and support to customers and client personnel as part of the services covered by services and software support contracts.
• Provide assistance to internal and external personnel in the use UNIX and virtualisation technology, and High Availability solutions throughout the Organisation as directed by the Technical Lead.
Key result areas
• Provide assistance to internal sales staff in pre and post sales activities as it relates to the provision of UNIX support services, when required.
• Ongoing support for the Customer Services team in delivering contracted services.
• Attend customer meetings and provide UNIX technical solutions to deliver contracted services.
• Maintain currency with UNIX enhancements and emerging technologies.
• Assist with performing Disaster Recovery testing or full invocation for customers (and role swaps).
• Own and manage customer transitions activities to a defined process and to successful completion.
• Resolving support calls and attending customer sites as appropriate.
• Provide 2nd and 3rd level support to all customers’ contracted services.
• Ensure the implementation of good practice and compliance with internal procedures, routines and protocol including security, safety and regulatory.
• To undertake training as discussed and agreed in order to ensure up to date knowledge for UNIX is maintained.
• Ensure change control process is followed for all changes to customer systems.
• Attend customer sites when required in pre-sales UNIX technical environment with the ability to demonstrate UNIX knowledge to the customer.
• Ensure UNIX knowledge is communicated throughout the team to improve all round knowledge of team and other contracted services customers.
• Assist/train operational staff with any UNIX questions raised.
• Attend any seminars or presentations that will assist with UNIX daily role in improving the efficiency of the UNIX team.
• Assist and work with Service Delivery Manager’s to provide UNIX technical knowledge to customers when required.
• Provide out of hours on call support for UNIX support for contracted services & software support 24/7 on a rota basis.
• Ensure the implementation of best practice UNIX procedures and compliance with internal procedures, routines and protocols.
• Automation is a primary focus, help develop and understand in house monitoring tools capabilities, and enhancements.
• Undertake other related tasks as requested by the Technical Lead.
Key Personal Requirements
• Must have: Practical experience
• AIX 6 or 7 system administrator
• LINUX Red Hat Sys Admin or LPIC-2 (Centos, Ubuntu, Suse) including Power Linux.
• AIX & Linux skills
• Automation with Ansible
• Knowledge of pSeries hardware
• Knowledge of x86 ESX environment
• UNIX Systems Administration skills
• UNIX Performance analysis skills
• UNIX Architectural knowledge
• Shell scripting
• Power HA
• Database knowledge
• DR Experience
• Backup tools such as EMC Networker and TSM (desirable).
• Knowledge of Networking
• Knowledge of Storage Technologies
• Knowledge of Server Builds
• Conform to Blue Chip procedures / policies
• Maintain current market knowledge
• Good knowledge and experienced in the use of standard MS Office applications
• Ability to produce technical documents & procedures
• Strong organisational and administrative skills
• Ability to assist/train staff
• Excellent problem determination, analytical and resolution skills
• Transformation & automation of repetitive tasks
• Provide day-to-day support communications
• Good communication skills internally & externally
• Ability to demonstrate initiative
• Good telephone manner
• Excellent customer facing skills
• Supporting team members
• Able to knowledge share within team
• Flexible & Adaptable
• Takes ownership
• Good decision maker
• Leads by example
• Time management skills
• Willingness to work unsociable hours
• To understand and fulfil the responsibilities for secure management of personal data of both internal and external customers in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2018.